i neglected to post both january and february's media updates.
this, of course, is more for my own remembrance than anything else. asterisks denote something i particularly enjoyed. follow this advice at your own risk.
Melvin Goes to Dinner
La Misma Luna*
All the Real Girls
The Milagro Beanfield War
Karl Rove, I Love You
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
This is Spinal Tap
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Too Young to be a Dad
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Thing We Lost in the Fire
The September Sessions
Bullets Over Broadway
(yes, I saw 24 movies this month. stfu!)
Coronado Dennis Lehane
The Memory Keeper's Daughter* Kim Edwards
Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
Gnarls Barkley "The Odd Couple"
The Postal Service "Be Still My Heart"
Too $hort "Gettin' It"
Monday, March 31, 2008
i neglected to post both january and february's media updates.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
whilst laid up in bed the other weekend, i was checking the teevee listings on yahoo! and did a double-take when i saw "lose weight" filed under "things to do" like "buy movie tickets" and "listen to music." is yahoo! trying to tell its users (aka me) something?
(click to enlarge)
Join in the fun! Get more information about the Six Word Sunday challenge
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Monday, March 24, 2008
i went to the urgent care this morning, as my doc doesn't work mondays. i developed this pain in my side wednesday night, similar to that pain you get when you drink a bunch of water and go exercise right afterwards. 'cept this didn't go away after a few minutes like that kind of pain does. it went away for a couple of days, then got increasingly painful and last night i didn't sleep but maybe 3 hours or so. in my 2.5 hour wait today, i saw all kinds of people come in. one guy was accompanied by his wife/girlfriend who claimed she was an M.D. and was screaming that he needed medical attention right away. i guess he ended up passing out, because the fire department came and assisted him. yes. the fire department came to the urgent care. i was thinking to myself, "if it was that serious, and that woman really is an M.D., she should have known better and taken him to the E.R., not to an urgent care facility." anyway, i was finally called back and i'm pretty sure the doc wasn't all there. or at least, i've definitely had better care than this guy gave me. his diagnosis? muscle strain. which is entirely possible given my recent back injury, but why would this pain subside pretty much completely, then come back with a vengeance? his answer? "i dunno. muscle spasms?" he said i should have an x-ray, which i will be going to my primary care doc for on wednesday and sent me home with a presciption for naproxen for the swelling and vicodin for the pain. argh! i did take one vicodin in an attempt to get a decent night's sleep but sometimes vicodin makes me ill, so i'm hoping i can keep my dinner down and get a good sleep.
i'm addicted to the trader joe's pecan pralines. like, so very addicted. normally i don't like nuts of any kind (har) but these, of course, have sugar and salt, and you can't go wrong with that. i thought about setting up a little old lady nut dish near the couch but i'm sure that would prove to be too tempting. i figure if i have to get up and get them, maybe i'll think twice about snacking on them so often.
and now you know the extent of my laziness.
more food talk: i had a delicious sandwich from whole foods after the urgent care appointment. i think i've finally perfected the art of the $8 whole foods sandwich, and that bugger is huge! smoked turkey, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado and gorgonzola spread on sliced sourdough bread. doesn't get much better than that.
the ducks are back in my condo complex's swimming pool. i know it drives the board nuts but secretly i like seeing them there.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Friday, March 21, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
break out the tanks, hooters is coming to town.
taken in S.F. (it was a family outing!)
definitely tacky (they even admit it) and i'm ashamed to say it, but dayum, they have some good boneless wings.
and she'll kill me for saying this, but i blame my mother for introducing me to the chain in new orleans. that woman loves her some wings.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
i'm laid up in bed with a friggin back injury. wish i could say there
was an exciting story behind it, but it seems it stemmed from lifting
something wrong at work. i look and feel like i'm 80 years old when i
attempt to walk or even sit. i went home early thursday and took
friday off because i'm in so much pain. in my nearly 6 years in this
job i have not once called in sick. so you can understand just how
severe this is.
thankfully my good friend dr. lisa is a chiropractor and came to my
rescue on thursday, table in tow, and came over again on friday.
laying in bed for hours on end is the pits most of the time. i've done
so much talking on the phone and tv-watching it's ridiculous.
fortunately netflix has come to my rescue with "watch instantly" and
my laptop has become my new best friend. but then there are other
times when i'm totally content with just doing nothing. having to do
nothing and doing nothing by choice are definitely two different
but enough about that.
i volunteered for the cinequest film festival, which was an absolute
blast. i met so many rad people and learned so many new things. i
plan on getting more involved for next year's festival, and have
already signed up as a volunteer for other festivals in the bay area
in the upcoming months.
in other volunteering news, i volunteered for the PBS telethon last
weekend. a total blast, even if they did warn us about the propensity
to receive obsene phone calls. i got one call, while not obscene, it
was definitely odd. we got a tour of the studio and i got so caught up
in just how friendly everyone was i may have committed to learning
some of the duties of other volunteers at the studio. whoops.
i'm on the hunt for a new handbag. problem is, my tastes seem to
change with the breeze. i bought a marc by marc jacobs bag in new york
in november, but i'm ready for a change. i'm thinking i might (gasp)
branch out and get something other than black. i'm thinking green.
i scored some great mid-century modern deals at the alameda flea
market a couple of weekends ago. i got a great tiered table that is
being used as a buffet and a small piece that opens up to store all
the fixings for a cocktail party, alcohol included. the buffet doesn't
need any work, but the bar could use a new stain. when i'm feeling
better i'll tackle that project. i was looking for a coffee table and
found several that fit my needs but didn't buy any of them. my plan is
to buy a new couch in the next year and a half or so, and i want a
sectional. i thinking of holding off on the coffee table purchase
until then, but don't quote me on it.
my mother is about halfway done with her radiation treatments, she's
literally counting the days. she's thinner than ever, but seems to
have an appetite, so i'm not as worried about her.
my second cousin passed away last weekend at the scene of a horrific
car accident. she was only 18. i wish i could say i was grieving more,
but we were never close. my parents are going to services tomorrow and
will pay their respects.
i've been taking myself out to sushi every friday. i so look forward
to fridays now more than ever, and trying new sushi joints! i didn't
(can't!) leave the house yesterday so sushi friday became sushi
saturday when jewels picked up my call-in order from a place near my
house. i realized two bites in that my order must've gotten mixed up
with someone else's as there was eel (figuratively) staring back at
me. i don't. eat. eel. the rest of it was good, and i salvaged the
tuna and salmon from the rest of the roll with the eel.
the heating pad is my new best friend. i'm not sure how i've lived without one.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Sunday, March 09, 2008
1. Pick 15 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
4. Fill in the film title once it's guessed.
5. NO GOOGLING/using IMDb search functions (or any other forms of cheating)!!
1. If the good Lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller-skates. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
2. You gonna order something, kid?
Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.
Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.
All right, give me a Pepsi Free.
You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it. Back to the Future
3. Don't you see the rest of the country looks upon New York like we're left-wing, communist, Jewish, homosexual pornographers? I think of us that way sometimes and I live here. Annie Hall
4. Oh yes! Don't say anything about that dear, sweet, precious Vicky! That plus-faced child bride and her electric hips! The Parent Trap (Hayley Mills' version, of course)
5. In the court ruling US vs. Fishbine, a man subjected to potential incineration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets. It's an obscure ruling, but a very important one to me. Fletch
6. And when I was in the delivery room, waking up from the ether, I asked the nurse whether it was a boy or a girl. She said it was a girl - and I turned my head to the side and cried. And then I said, I hope she grows up to be a beautiful little fool. That's about the best a girl can hope for these days, to be a beautiful little fool. The Great Gatsby
7. No matter what I say, it draws controversy. It's sort of like the abortion issue. The King of Kong
8. In the end, the answer was so simple it took a week to work out. The Virgin Suicides
9. Back home, they put me in jail for what I'm doing. Here, they give me awards. Casino
10. And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me? Vertigo
11. We have a whole life to live together you fucker, but it can't start until you call. me and you and everyone we know
12. When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman,and a ride home. The Outsiders
13. Living here day by day, you think it's the center of the world. You believe nothing will ever change. Then you leave: a year, two years. When you come back, everything's changed. The thread's broken. What you came to find isn't there. What was yours is gone. You have to go away for a long time... many years... before you can come back and find your people. The land where you were born. But now, no. It's not possible. Right now you're blinder than I am. Cinema Paradiso
14. It's a beautiful Saturday morning, John... What the hell else have we gotta do? The Thomas Crown Affair
15. Well, I see you're smoking pot now. I think using psychotropic drugs is a very positive example to set for our daughter. American Beauty
Thursday, March 06, 2008
stream of consciousness blogging.
too much fun and too little sleep. means i'm tired at 1p and dying to skip out of work by that hour. wishing there were more hours in the day. back to loving yoga again after last week's rocky restart. now how 'bout using that gym membership i dole out $24/mo for? discovered that the restaurant supply store carries all things pastry-related and could've saved me a fortune. live and learn. baseball season is here. giants still suck. i'm still a fan. i was reminiscing on seeing the mets play at shea stadium over the summer. what fun! it's too bad the mariners won't be at home when i'm in seattle next month. property tax is due shortly. camera purchase in the works. spending money. saving money. i can't be trusted when it comes to buying furniture. i want it all! time to weed backyard again. again! tired of hearing excuses. tired of hearing meaningless "i'm sorry"s. work is same as it ever was. same good eggs, same bad eggs. easter is here shortly. time change! spring forward, fall back. tomorrow is sushi friday. new places to try. rilo kiley on the radio. wtf? good movie last night. bad movie tonight. past my bedtime. deja vu? all quiet on the western front.