Saturday, September 30, 2006

a sucker born every minute

I don't say it often enough, but I've learned quite a bit since starting my position four years ago. It's pretty cool to see the stuff I learned in marketing and management courses in college put into action, and especially so when it has an impact on my store's bottom line.

Working in the restaurant business has also made me more aware of the cost of goods, particularly what restaurants and concessions pay for items.

Like when I went to the 49ers game on Sunday (p.s. -- I had the best seats ever to see them lose-- lower box seven rows from the field on the 49ers' 5th yard line) and see them selling 20 ounce bottles of Coca-Cola for $4.50 that cost (are you ready for this?) $.89. Eighty nine cents. They're selling it for $4.50.

I'm still getting over this blatant price gouging! Needless to say I quenched my thirst with ice cold freshly-squeezed lemonade.

And that ran me $5.25.

3 comments:

  1. You're so right about price gouging. That's why I used to sneak food into stadiums, but I had to stop after 9/11 when they checked bags more carefully. Got away with small stuff once in a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So let's talk about fountain soda now....dirt cheap, right? :) I think the local gas station is selling a 32-ouncer for about $1.30. (and I won't even comment on what movie theatres get away with!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to an Angels game this last weekend and I was also shocked at the prices...we had 3 hotdogs, 2 beers, nachos and some frozen lemonade...over $40...the insanity...but it was well worth the few hours of pure Americana!

    ReplyDelete