Monday, August 04, 2008

troubling

So I guess they've figured out my mother's latest ailment. (That sounds bad, like I don't believe her. But it's always something! Remind me not to get old.)

She's having surgery on the 6th to repair a torn ligament and a torn meniscus and one other thing I can't remember right now. She's been in excruciating pain for about a month, so much so that it pretty much forced her to see her doctor about it. And my mother, even more so after her diagnosis with breast cancer, despises visiting a doctor. She hasn't been able to walk in about two weeks, and after her MRI they were able to determine that surgery is the only answer. I haven't seen her in a few weeks but my sister said seeing her with a cane attempting to get to the bathroom is heartbreaking.

My mother is griping about this bring her second surgery in less than 8 months but it obviously needs to be done. She's been taking a lot of pain medication but even at the beginning it wasn't touching her pain. It was also discovered that she has advanced arthritis, but from her pain we pretty much deduced this already.

She's worried, we're all worried, about the risk of blood clots, as my surgery my father had in June was for a torn meniscus. After that horrific scare that ended with him in the hospital, we're all a little on edge. The good news is that my father is now as active as ever, and has recovered very well from something that could have, well...yeah. I won't mention that.

Anyway, I don't feel like my parents are that old -- my mother just turned 59 in June and my father will be 62 in January. Far too young in my opinion to go through stuff like this.

2 comments:

  1. Your family sure has had their share of medical scares lately, haven't they? Hope this is the last one for a while, and that there's very little "scare" about it. Best of luck to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything turns out OK with your mom. Glad your dad is doing well now. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete