Saturday, October 29, 2005

all i need's a fast machine



I find most of the acting in movies from the 1970s dull. No, perhaps that's not the best word. Lacking is more accurate.

I'm currently watching "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen (can't help but hum the Sheryl Crow song when I think of him) and while the famous speeding car scenes through San Francisco city streets rock, the rest of it leaves something to be desired. The dialogue is pretty much nonexistent and what little is said is done so with mediocre emotion at best. I can certainly see why the ladies of the day, including my mother, liked McQueen so much--those blue eyes are something else! Maybe the actual acting came second to the actor.

I wonder how kind the future will be to some of my favorites. Perhaps I'll look back and cringe at actually liking, say, "The Thomas Crown Affair" (coincidentally, Steve McQueen starred in the original). Surely the working world will continue to appreciate "Office Space."

Or will they?

2 comments:

  1. Part of the appeal of Bullit was the locale (most people who like the film are in our area), the nature of the chase scenes (literally unheard of at the time) and the fancy cars. It was a "Gone in 60 seconds" type of movie, that had some impressive stunts. Office Space will never die. It is as classic as Spaceballs and Caddyshack.

    I'm sure the Thomas Crowne Affair will age well. It's Pierce, for goodness sake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find most action flicks are fairly lacking in everything other than speed chases/large blowing-ups of stuff/etc.

    ReplyDelete